I had heard these questions so many times, How to transport bike by train across India ? Bike Parcel Charges & documents Required for bike Parcel. If you are searching for the best way to do bike parcel through train, you are reading the right article.
How to transport Bike in train ?
In former, you can take the bike along with you in the same train you are traveling. But now the procedure has changed. Now the Indian Railways will decide in which train your bike should travel depending on the slot availability and destination.
As of now, there are actually two ways to transport bike in train across India. The two different ways to do bike parcel.
Before transporting the bike we need to make sure all the documents are all clear and ready. Especially the important documents like Registration Certificate, Latest Insurance documents and all.
Another important thing is we need to empty the petrol tank for transporting it. It’s always good to book from main station since they will get enough time to load the parcels.
They will accept the booking only when there is a direct train connectivity available between source & destination stations. Once it reached at the destination, the first 6 hours are free to keep it in the parcel counter. After that, every one hour is chargeable. So better to collect it within the first 6 hours itself.
Now I can explain what is the procedure for transport bike by train as luggage/parcel.
How to transport bike by train as a parcel
The process is pretty simple. First of all you need to identify a main station near to you from where you can sent the bike as parcel.
- Visit the parcel counter of that railway station and inquire about the bike parcel charges along with the expected delivery/arrival time. It will be good know these things few days in advance.
- As mentioned you need to submit the photo copy of your bike registration certificate (RC book) and the any one of your identity proof. It’s mandatory that you need to carry the originals of both, since there will be a verification for the same.
- Once they are done with the strict inspection of petrol tank, your bike is ready for packing. Either you can pack it yourself or take the help of some packing guys. It can cost you some 300 RS. I would suggest you to go for that since they can do it better than us.
- Now your bike is ready for the journey, but need to fill parcel form where you can mention the details of the recipient & address, cost of the parcel you are sending, bike’s engine and chassis number.
How to transport bike by train as a luggage
The procedure is almost similar like sending bike as parcel. You need to submit the registration certificate and id proof photo copies and get it packed.
- Keep the luggage receipt & the endorsement of the train ticket. Make sure you are keep it safe because these two are required to receive the bike parcel
- Wait for your train. Make sure your bike is getting loaded to the same train. so that the bike will be transported along with you on the same train.
- After reaching your journey, go to luggage office. Show the original ticket and the luggage endorsement. Navigate to the platform or the train compartment to receive the bike parcel.
- As per the railway rules you need to empty the petrol and take at the same time you are not supposed to carry petrol in bottle as well.I hope your friends can help you out in getting this part sorted out.
Bike Parcel Fees & bike Transport Charges
Rail transport Fess are always cheap when you compared to other mode of transportation. Please find the for bike parcel charges/cost
- Packing / Porter Charges – Rs. 150 to 300 Rs. These charges will be needed for both packing and during delivery.
- Total cost to transport bike or to parcel bike through Indian railway trains is calculated based on the distance & the weight of the parcel
- If you need the exact cost then you can check out the Indian railways website.
- Insurance charge is based on the value of the bike. Note this cost will be included along with the bike Parcel cost. State the value of the bike as higher because higher the value of bike will get higher insurance fee. Declaration up to Rs.10, 000 don’t have any extra charges. After that the insurance charges will be extra 1% of the declared value
Indian Railways Rules for Bike Transportation
There are certain rules which you should consider before transport bike by train.
- Make sure to empty the petrol tank of your motorcycle because during inception if they found a bike with fuel in the petrol tank, then they will put fine for Rs.1000 (i.e.) for transporting the bike with petrol.
- In certain cases, the railway police can take action against this which can lead 6 months to 2 years imprisonment.
- Suppose if the bike is lost because of train accident etc, then Indian railways will repay as per the declared value of goods
- Make sure you are mentioning the bike engine & chassis number during the parcel form registration
- If you unable to unload & collect the bike from the train at your destination station, then you can again book bike parcel to the nearest major railway station.
I hope this will help some of the travelers who wants to always take their bike for all their trips. Share your thoughts in comments.
Pingback: Train Engine India | India High Tech News